Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Here’s To The Chicken

The San Diego Chicken says this might be his last year. Ted Giannoulas is now 55, and he has been doing the Chicken routine for 35 years. After starting out as a temporary stunt for a local radio station in San Diego and earning $2 per hour, Giannoulas has found a calling.

He is, quite frankly, the funniest and more original sports mascot in history. Every mascot today owes something to the Chicken. I am glad that his routines are copyrighted, because I know he’s been imitated and ripped off more times than you can count. Sporting News named him one of the 100 Most Influential People in sports for the 20th Century. Time magazine lumped his first appearance with Lou Gherig’s farewell speech and Jackie Robinson’s first game as true nostalgia for the game.

The Chicken has appeared onstage with Elvis, Jimmy Buffett, Jerry Lee Lewis, Paul McCartney, and hundreds of others. He has performed for Presidents Reagan, Ford, and Bush 41.

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing the Chicken more than a few times in his early heyday. I was serving in the Navy in San Diego and took in more than a few Padres games. Those memories will stay with me forever.

I took my daughter to see the Chicken this past weekend. She had never seen him other than on youtube. Now she has been a part of history, too.

If this is indeed the last year the Chicken will play, you should make every effort to see him. It doesn’t matter if you have seen him before or not. Go and catch the Chicken. It’s worth it.

It’s just too bad he doesn’t have a number that can be retired.

Check back later and I'll add some pictures I took this weekend. I don't have them on me right now.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home