Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day and Honor Flight ramblings

Today is Memorial Day. I hope you know and understand the true significance of this day. It’s not about beginning summer, or cooking out, or heading for the beach. All of those things are fine, and you are encouraged to do them today if possible. But do not forget the meaning of the day.

I’m a veteran. I am proud of that status. My wife is a veteran. We know a lot of veterans, some of whom are still on active duty.

I appreciate the service of each of the people I served with over the years. A lot of them I consider to have been my friends, despite losing touch with them over the years and miles.

That is what Memorial Day is about. Remembering. Appreciating. Understanding. Honoring those who gave their lives in defense of their country.

When I encounter someone now who is either on active duty or is a veteran, I make it a point to thank them for their service. It’s a small gesture but I feel a necessary one. I hope you will join me in doing this small task.

Too many times, people who are serving or have served watch as their reputations are dragged through the slime by liberal media and leftie protesters who don’t understand that the freedom that gives them the ability to wave their signs and shout their slogans without any fear of reprisal came directly from those they disparage.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the honor and privilege of welcoming home an Honor Flight group from a tour of Washington. If you do not know about Honor Flight, it’s a non profit group designed to transport veterans to DC to see the memorials. Priority has been given to World War II vets, as their numbers are diminishing quickly. They fly the vets round trip at no cost and give them the opportunity to view all the memorials in the nation’s capital.

When the flight returned home, a group of over 90 WWII vets were met by hundreds of well-wishers, high school bands, ROTC units, boy scout troops, cheerleaders, active duty military, local politicians, and just about everyone who could fit in the airport. The entire airport was lined 4 and 5 deep on either side of the walkway from the gate to the furthest exit door, creating a tunnel of goodwill the vets traveled through on their way to the buses.


The last group posted by the doors was a high school band playing a medley of songs representing the various services. I watched and took pictures as many vets wiped their eyes as they stood proudly, refusing to leave. After a full day of travel that had to leave them totally exhausted, here they were inundated by hundreds of people shaking their hands while a band played loudly. It had to be a lot to process, and it had to be tiring for them. But they all hung around, making the buses wait just a bit longer, while they took the time to accept the hands of all these strangers, surrounded by friends and family. There were very few dry eyes in that terminal that night.

I am including a few of the pictures from that night. They do not do justice to the waves of emotion that swept over everyone involved.










Please, enjoy your cookouts today. Head for the beach if the sun is shining. Relax on your day off.

But, should you happen to meet someone who served, take the time to give them a heartfelt "Thank You."


It'll mean the world to them. I guarantee it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM , Blogger Auntie Em said...

Thank you for your past service and ongoing efforts here!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger ramblingman said...

I appreciate your comment. I was proud to serve and proud to know so many others who served.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home