Monday, September 05, 2005

Monday Morning Musings

After a breakfast of crisp bacon, link sausage, scrambled eggs, grits with salt, pepper, butter and a bit of cheese, flaky biscuits with a side of grape and strawberry jellies, hash browns, cold milk, fresh orange juice and hot coffee, these tidbits are served.

The above opening is my personal homage to one of the greatest jounalists, sports writers, and editors of all time - Tom McEwan of the Tampa Tribune. I grew up reading his stories. Almost every Sunday, he would do a column of assorted thoughts and musings. He would always begin with the breakfast list. I wish my posts could be half as interesting as his columns.

It looks as if the wild rumors of cannibalism in the French Quarter turned out to be less than accurate. Go figure. Evidently, Mr. Robinson completed the Dan Rather Correspondence Course in Finding Sources.

I was checking my blog page and saw 4 comments. I must admit I got a bit excited. I had reached out and touched someone enough to cause them to take the time and effort to respond. This was exciting…for about thirty seconds, until I saw all four comments were spam with ads in them. Sigh…

I did get a nice response from a close family member who shall remain nameless (thanks, Mom) who said that even if she had not been told that I wrote the blog, she would have known it was me after reading it. Sometimes it’s okay to be predictable.

We watched a very, very good show on National Geographic channel the other night. Called “In The Womb”, it covered the development of a fetus from conception to birth. I couldn’t help but think out loud, “hoo boy, the pro-abortion crowd would howl if they saw this.”

I missed a week of work at one of my jobs. I am not about to complain, however. Especially when I have met so many in the last week who have lost not only their homes but their jobs as well. It’s mind-boggling to try and comprehend the total impact of this natural disaster (notice I used the term “natural disaster” to imply it’s no one’s fault).

AP ran a national story online the other day. It stated that the victims of Katrina were poorer than the US average. Okay, let’s review. The people who lived in the poorer sections of downtown New Orleans and did not own cars and thus had a harder time trying to evacuate, and the people in rural Mississippi, are poorer than the US average. Next up on Breaking News – People who stand in the rain tend to get wet, film at 11.

I am a lifelong Atlanta Braves Fan. I don’t care that they have not won more World Series. I know of a lot of fans who would give anything to make the playoffs every year. But this year, it just seems a little bit special watching the enthusiasm of all the rookies they are playing. And they are still winning.

Last night I watched two shirtless kids playing soccer on the golf course behind our house. Who says the South is not diversified?

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read it and I concurred... Loved your comments. Keep up the great work.
Really who would have thunk it... who comes up with some of the stupid things the media reports, and why would anyone say that there was cannibalism in the French Quarter, my God!
On another note... did you see Harry Connic Jr. on MSNBC's rebroadcast of the effort to raise money for the flood victims, the man went to New Orleans, he looked and sounded rough, but man is he doing everything he can for them. Way to go Harry!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home